Faculty and attendees will meet for the first time online to discuss:
- SMC 2.0 blended learning approach
- Online courses assignments and recommendations
- Meet your classmates
- Class logistics
- Q & A
All attendees will have access to the Retail Learning Institute’s Online Program, which has been specifically developed for the food retail industry. The selection of courses will be tailored to blend and complement the SMC 2.0 learning experience. The class faculty will assign some online courses and recommend others.
Day 1: To Lower Prices or Raise Standards?
- Strategic Planning: Identifying and Developing Distinctive Points of Difference
- Creating a Great First and Lasting Impression
- Merchandising Magic 3.0 – The 5 Key Merchandising Principles
- In Search of Freshness: The Great Differentiator
- Recruiting Strategies…What You Don’t Know Could Really Hurt You! – Deb Keller
- Crafting a SMARRTEST Goal: Let’s end day one with another plan to improve!
Evening Activity: Group Assignment
With your group, you will read Supermarket Rules (book provided) and pick your 5 favorite rules to adopt.
Day 2: Building Sales, Controlling Costs!
Early Bird Session: Drilling Down for More Sales Dollars
- Supermarket Rules (52 of them!)
- Resuscitating Center Store Sales. It’s Not Too Late!
- Asset Protection: The Art and Science – Bill Alford/Joe Laufenberg
- Crafting a SMARRTEST Goal: Let’s end day two with a plan to improve!
Evening Activity: Store Tour – Downtown Chicago
With your team, visit food retail stores, and agree on the best take-away to share with the class next morning.
Day 3: The Power of Passionate People
Early Bird Session: Creating a Cost-Effective Employee Orientation Program
- Am I the Leader I Need to Be?
- Employee Retention Rules…Sneak peek into Harold’s New Book
- Creating your Listening Culture – Doug Madenberg
- Achieving Superior Customer Relations with Engaged Employees
- Crafting a SMARRTEST Goal: Let’s end day three with another plan to improve!
Evening Activity: Share your SMARRTEST Goals
With your team, you will identify your top 2 take-aways from the first two days and draft your SMARRTEST Goals.
Day 4: Store Culture and Effectiveness
“Culture is not the most important thing, it’s the only thing” – Costco’s co-founder, Jim Sinegal
- Creating a Positive Work Culture/Enhancing Employee Performance
- Working and Learning with New Technologies – The Role of Middle Managers
- Flatter Organizations, Smaller Budgets and Lifelong Learning
- Strategies to Improve Retention – How to Optimize the Formation of Memory
- Best Practices in E-Learning for the Supermarket Industry
Join your faculty and classmates online for this retrieval webinar. After a few weeks back at work, it is critical to retrieve the learnings from the class during this learning event. We will review the SMARRTEST Goals, actions and development plans. This webinar is the official closing the SMC 2.0.